Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A lecturer's responsibility

I went to a lecture held by Dr. Maraldo, a religion and philosophy professor at the University of Northern Florida.  Dr. Maraldo came to Luther College to speak about the confusion of the definition of religion, the importance of religions coexisting and understanding each other, and the issue of whether a person can be called truly "religious" by simply believing in a religion, or whether one must follow the rules and practices of their religion.  I had a very hard time being attentive while Dr. Maraldo was speaking.  He stood at the podium the entire 45 minutes, speaking calmly into the microphone, without moving.  He had good eye contact and was obviously very knowledgeable, yet he had no visual aids - no powerpoint or posters - to keep up interest.  He had a very mellow, calming voice, which can definitely be a good thing in some ways.  However, when giving a lecture to college students at night, a calming voice tends to put the students to sleep.  I learned a great deal listening to Dr. Maraldo talk, yet I had to put in double the effort I normally do to actually take meaning from a teacher's words.  I listened while Dr. Maraldo gave quotes from experts in the field of Asian religions, while he pointed out the issues in what is truly defined as "believing" today, and while he stated the importance of accepting other faiths.  I listened to every word Dr. Maraldo said, yet not once was my attention piqued above the level it acquires when I daydream.
The trouble with Dr. Maraldo, as a lecturer, is that he never did anything to receive my attention.  While he was quite obviously a very smart man, and while he had all the necessary qualifications to prove he was an expert in his field, at the first word out of his mouth my mind instantly switched into zone-out.  If not for the questions assigned for my religion class, that entire lecture would have gone in one ear and out the other.
However uninteresting this lecture may have been to me, I learned a valuable lesson - as a lecturer, one must stimulate both the minds and the attention of the audience.  And not only can this principle be applied to lecturers, but teachers as well.  If a teacher speaks entirely in a monotone and simply lectures with no class participation and no visual aids, no matter how interesting the subject matter may be, the class will never give their full attention to the teacher.  After witnessing this lecture, the extreme importance of something as simple as enthusiasm really hit home, and I will, as a future teacher, try my best to integrate as much enthusiasm as I can in my life and in the lives of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment