Sunday, December 5, 2010

Enthusiasm Goes a Long Way

     One of my classes this year that I was not entirely happy about taking was art history.  While I enjoy creating artwork and I understand the benefits of learning about different types of artwork throughout the years, I have never been much of an art history enthusiast.  However, survey of Western art has been a surprisingly interesting class so far.  Although it is still the same basic material as I studied in high school, Professor Kate Elliot's enthusiastic voice, slide shows, and body language keep me entertained.  Every day, even on the days she says she's only had five hours of sleep, she is energetic and encourages us to contribute to the conversation.  There are always slide shows or video clips that Professor Elliot brings to class, helping to break up her lecturing at the front of the room.  
     Professor Elliot is a very humble teacher, pointing out her mistakes when it comes to spelling or pronunciation, which makes her seem much more down to earth, and also helps in creating a more relaxed feel, so that students aren't as intimidated when they want to ask or answer questions.  She uses her hands and facial expressions to help convey what she's speaking about, as well as keeping our attention and, most helpful to me, she ties in much of what we learn about specific art pieces or architecture to how it relates to other areas of study, such as just overall history, religion, the feelings of the people at the time, and the way the body was viewed and portrayed.  She makes us realize art is not just something pretty to look at, but that it has real depth and meaning that relates to many different topics.
     Going along with her humility, Professor Elliot also seems to make it a point of acting very laid back, and not condescending, even though she is our professor.  I find it much easier to enjoy a class when a teacher treats his or her students as equals, rather than lesser people.  She makes it a point to call on many different students, not depending on all the same people to answer her questions, which also provides a form of equality, although in a different way.  She brings up topics that we may find interesting, anything from an Onion article about Ancient Greece being made up to asking who will be going to the Harry Potter midnight showing.  She shows a genuine interest in her students' lives, as well as trying to insert fun facts that fit better with our generation.
     Having Professor Elliot as a teacher has reminded me, once again, of being enthusiastic in the subject I will someday teach.  Attitude can make such a huge difference in children, as well as showing true interest in your students.  I appreciate and respect her greatly as a teacher, especially when the majority of my high school teachers were the type to stand in front of the class, lecturing all day, without any regard as to whether we were the slightest bit interested.  Professor Elliot's humility also definitely helps students like me, who tend to be more on the shy side, making me less afraid to bring up confusing points and participate in class discussions.  I will remember, as a future teacher, to try to act as down to earth as possible, and not arrogant, as some of my other teachers have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment