Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Humility

I have definitely had my share of trying to prove a point to a friend, only to realize, after much shouting and annoyance, that I am actually wrong.  That feeling of being ashamed and embarrassed is awful and I immediately want to continue my point, even knowing it's wrong, simply because I don't like to admit I made a mistake.  However, I've come to realize that everyone is wrong at many points in his or her life, and that humility, while it may form from awkward feelings, is a trait that anyone hoping to teach must have.  The fact that I may be a teacher some day will never mean that I am never wrong.  Teachers are allowed to make mistakes as well, as they are all human.  The worst teachers, the ones students never respect, are the teachers that never admit to their mistakes, especially if it is transparently obvious to the students that the teacher is simply being prideful and stubborn.  However, this does not mean a teacher should always second guess themselves - a teacher must have reasonable proof before blatantly stating something she may not know is completely true, yet if  she does have proof and truly believes she is stating something correct, she cannot waver.  Students will also lose respect for teachers who are not confidant in themselves.  The trick is to be confidant in teaching something you believe to be true, while always keeping in mind that you must admit your fault if you are wrong in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment